Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Broccoli Salad

This is a great way to use broccoli. It has a variety of tastes and textures that compliment each other in a way that may surprise you.

You will need a large bowl.

Ingredients:

SALAD
2 heads of fresh broccoli, cut up into bite size pieces. DO NOT cook!
1 small red onion, chopped
4 to 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped cashews- salted or unsalted

DRESSING
1 cup mayonaise
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar

Combine all the salad ingredients in your large bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Start off with the lesser amount of sugar and add more if it is not sweet enough for you.
Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well to coat.
Refrigerate until chilled.

Serve.
Enjoy!

Serves 6 to 8.

You can use the broccoli stems. Some people don't like them because are a little tougher.
To get rid of the toughness, peel the stem pieces with a vegetable peeler.

8 comments:

  1. I bought broccoli salad from the deli counter for the first time last year. I was surprised at how good it was. I'll have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, I know what you mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DIDN'T THINK I WOULD LIKE THIS BUT I WAS WRONG. I WAS SUPRISED AT THIS DISH. I THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY GOOD! AND GOOD FOR YOU!

    LON

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am glad i came back to see this--i had missed it before--i was just thinking of making this the other day, but couldn't remember how--thanks ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lynn. Some recipes call for slivered almonds instead of cashews:)

      Delete
  5. I love these types of salads. I use golden raisins, as I prefer them over the dark raisins, and I normally don't add the nuts, but I love salted cashews, so the next time I decide to make this salad, I'm definitely going to add them. Ruth, seeing this recipe makes me want to make this salad. And when I do, I'm going to use your recipe. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I look forward to making the salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good. I've never tried it with golden raisins. I may need to do that. Enjoy!

      Delete