Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cajun Rub

I love dry rubs. I make up different kinds to use when grilling. They are easy to make and keep fresh tasting for several months.
A lot of dry rub recipes state that they are for a certain meat, poultry, or seafood. I like to add rubs to my vegetables too.

This is my recipe for Cajun Rub. It has a strong, complex flavor with just a hint of heat. If you don't want any heat, cut down on the cayenne.

You will need a jar with a tight fitting lid.
I like to save my old larger spice containers or Parmesan cheese shaker containers for my rubs. They work great.

My cayenne has no label because I make my own and I have a pepper mill to grind my black pepper.


Ingredients:

1/4 cup Kosher salt
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
2 Tablespoons onion powder
2 Tablespoons dried thyme
2 Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons ground pepper
1 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper, depending on how hot you like

To your jar, add all the spices and salt.
Screw on the top and shake to mix.
There: you are done.

Last year I bought the wrong kind of pepper plants. Instead of throwing them out, I dried them and ground them up for pepper.




4 comments: