Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, April 4, 2014

Life and Coconut

Wow! It's been so long since I put anything up here.
Things have been busy for me lately.

I took an impromptu trip to Cincinnati for a family problem.
Things are starting to settle back down and hopefully I will get more done on this little blog.

Lately I have done a little experimenting with coconut.
I have always been a fan of coconut oil.
The virgin organic unrefined is some pretty awesome stuff.

I decided to try some coconut flour and coconut sugar, as well.

I made some coconut flour chocolate chip cookies and those turned out pretty good.
I am going to try it for coating fried chicken next.
It is absorbent so a little goes a long way.

The coconut sugar is fine.
I don't think that I am completely sold on it.

It is pricey so you don't want to go crazy using it.
It is supposed to have a lower glycemic index than cane or beet sugar.
Plus, some added minerals and vitamins.

It is not as sweet as regular sugar or brown sugar so if you want the same sweetness, you will have to use quite a bit more.
It has more of a caramel taste. A deeper, more complex taste than brown sugar.

I don't mind it.
It is a nice change.
But, I don't plan to buy it again.

Molasses or maple syrup sweeten things nicely with some added minerals.
If I want to cut the sweet, I will use less cane sugar.

Now, there is a big difference in organic cane sugar and regular sugar and I buy the organic when I can.

The coconut flour is something I would buy again.
A bag will last me a long time so I feel it is worth what I paid for it.

2 comments:

  1. Don't basically use sugar in our kitchen anyway. I don't use a lot of flour either any more. Interesting though, I didn't even know there was such a thing as coconut flour and sugar. Everyone in our blogging world is very involved in the A to Z Challenge so we are extremely busy this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, for various reasons I am not doing the A-Z this year. Lots of work and not up to it.

      Delete