Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Making Your Own Broth


Many recipes I have come across for broth mention putting all kinds of vegetables in with the meat and water to make broth.

But, you don't have to do that.

Making your own broth is very simple and can be frozen to use any time you need it.

I love making broth when I have a leftover turkey or chicken carcass.
There is always meat you can not get off the bone.

Once you get all the meat you can off the bones, stick the bones in a large pot.
Usually a 4-5 quart dutch oven is big enough.

Now season it heavily with salt and pepper.
Also any other seasons you may like.
I like to add garlic powder and parsley when I am making chicken or turkey broth.
Season enough that the smell is pretty fragrant.

Now, cover with water and bring to a boil.

Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover.

Let it cook for 2-3 hours.

Strain out the bones, skin, and any meat.

Cool and use or refrigerate/freeze for later use.

For pork or beef, I love making broth when I am going to be cooking the meat for another meal.
Just season with salt and pepper and follow the same method as outlined above.

No comments:

Post a Comment