Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2013

Meat Shell Potato Pie

This is a favorite for my husband and I. It is very filling and hearty with a variety of flavors.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/175 Celsius
You will need a 9" pie plate.

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
1(10.75 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, divided
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 egg
1/4 cup flax meal OR dry bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
sprinkle of pepper
2 cups mashed potatoes
4 pieces of bacon
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, 1/2 cup of the condensed soup, onion, egg, flax OR bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Mix together well.
Press into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
Bake for 25 minutes.
You may want to check on it a few times and if the meat is starting to slip down the sides, press it back up with the back of a large spoon.
After 25 minutes, take it out and drain. I find the best way to do this is to lay paper towels over the meat shell and let it absorb the fat.
While the meat shell is baking, make your mashed potatoes.
Mix the mashed potatoes with the rest of the condensed soup.
Set aside.
Cook and drain the bacon. Crumble.
After you have drained the meat shell, fill with the mashed potato mixture.
Sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
Bake for another 15 minutes.
Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Cut into wedges.

Serves 6.

  


2 comments:

  1. OMG - thanks! I'm going to make this - I'm craving some comfort food and this would hit the spot without going all "wheat" on the crust! Yay!


    Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT


    PS I just copied it and printed it - I'm heading out to pick up a few groceries and I'm going to get what I need for this.

    Question: is flax meal the same as ground flax seeds? Sorry for not being to swift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jenny. You are right about the flax meal. I used to use bread but switched to flax though you could use GF bread if you have any. I find flax meal/ground flax works great in replace of bread crumbs. Also pay attention to the condensed cream soups. Some kinds have wheat. I know Campbell's does.

      Delete